I'd say Kitty and I were somewhat apprehensive about Mary starting a new school. She had made such great friends and so enjoyed the experience at preschool and we were not sure how we could recapture that magic that made her want to go every day.
Mary however, felt none of that malarkey.
She is so excited to go on this new adventure. She CHOSE to wear the jumper uniform - something unexpected by us as she normally is pretty picky about her clothes. She went to bed early - without a fight - the night before. She got up and immediately got dressed for school. She was excited to wear her new all-white tennis shoes.
We were amazed.
But it got better when Mary got to school. Her new teacher - Mrs. House (who signs her name with a drawing of a little house instead of spelling it out) had set up a scavenger hunt for the kids for orientation. Go find the water cooler. Go find the bathrooms. Find the other kindergarten classroom. Find your cubby. Mary dived right in. She enjoyed it so much.
She ended up soothing us (well at least me) throughout the experience. She is a remarkable little kid. She is five. She is in school. My heart swells and breaks with every step she takes that makes her more independent of me. It grows alongside her as well.
Here are a couple of pictures from Mary's first day. Standing by her cubby and me reading her a book. It was a great day. I'm much better with it all now.
Cheers.

Reading with Daddy at First Day of School September 4 2007

2 comments:
Did you get dressed up for school as well or were you on your way to work afterwards. Were you allowed to come in late because it was the first day of school. I couldn't believe how many in our group came in late because it was the first day of school even if their kid was in 5th grade. I know, as a non-parent I wouldn't understand.
She go to a public school? Catholic? Etc.
Sara
I was dressed for work - went to the office after the orientation. I was allowed to come in late for the FDOS. Not sure I will do it every year - but this was her first day of Kindergarten - a big deal even I can admit.
She is going to a private school - episcopal. Nearby.
Post a Comment